The Piha R&R has been working diligently with Auckland Council on the subject of pollution in the West Coast lagoons, but concentrating particularly on the Piha Stream Lagoon by the Domain. With assistance from publicity last year by the news media, we are seeing some positive actions from our regular meetings with Council as indicated below.
1. EcoMatters Trust has been contracted by Council to undertake septic tank surveys and education in all West Coast locations, but they are concentrating on Piha and specifically on properties that may affect the Piha Lagoon. The door knocking phase has been completed and 36 free independent inspections undertaken. These inspections have included loading the systems to check actual operation of each entire system.
2. Piha Domain. The Domain septic system that takes care of the Campground, Public Toilets, Tennis Club, Bowling Club, Piha RSA, Library and the Piha Surf Lifesaving Club is being surveyed for it’s first annual report, (there should have been a report each year,) and we expect to receive the results shortly. This will be interesting!
3. Lagoon Testing. The good news is that council is going to continue testing over winter on a monthly basis. Previously testing has been restricted to weekly tests from 1st November to 31st March. This will provide bacground data related to rain and tidal effects on pollution.
4. Environmental Consultant. Council has contracted a specialist consultant to undertake a review of all Council managed systems to enable then to answer specific questions raised by Piha R&R with regard to the Mill camp, Domain treatment system, Surf Club addition, effluent dripper-line system, (Trees for Babies area,) Beach toilet block, etc.
5. Draft Action Plan. Auckland Council has also committed with Piha R&R to a Draft action plan that will address all the points and focus on the results and conclusions of the various reports.
All this is the direct result of pressure brought to bear by the Piha R&R Assn. and we look forward to reporting positive outcomes in the near future.