- Separating the building entryway for “club operations” from the “public” entry to the social activity areas.
- Providing a new direct access entry for the medical room to allow speed and privacy for patient movement and transfer.
- Moving the operations room up and forward to enable viewing of the whole beach over the top of the sand dunes.
- A new boatshed under the operations room will enable an IRB to be permanently set up for rapid response after hours.
- The revised building facility can be utilised as an emergency hub for the Piha community in any emergency.
The new lookout tower will resemble to some extent the original 1935 Clubhouse design and Brent Hulena’s design is aimed at presenting a soft approach with a traditional beach, boatshed feel, with louvres and other design features to break up the building facade allow it to better blend with the surrounding natural environment of Piha and the relaxed beach atmosphere.
The club is interested in community feedback, and is working with the Auckland Council to ensure the design can be consented. The club needs to raise funds for the redesign with a current budget of $1.1 million. The club would like to start building, this time next year.
The proposed designs are shown below or can be Downloaded HERE