- When – Friday 3 August 2018, 6.00pm – Sunday 26 August 2018, 4.00pm
- When Friday 3 August 2018, 6.00pm – Sunday 26 August 2018, 4.00pm
- Opening and awards ceremony: Fri 3 Aug, 6pm-7.30pm
- Exhibition: 4-26 Aug, 10am-4pm daily
- Pop-up display: 8-10 Aug, 10am-4pm
- Talks and film dates: TBC
- Where The Upstairs Gallery, Level 1, Lopdell House, 418 Titirangi Road, Titirangi, Auckland
- Show map
- Cost Free
- Contact Sammy Milne firstname.lastname@example.org 027 916 2054
In celebration of the 10th Anniversary of the Emerging Artist Award, the Upstairs Gallery has chosen a theme we are incredibly passionate about – empathy.
This year the gallery has invited emerging artists across all media types to submit a work of art that cultivates empathy and which helps people become more aware of their own emotions and more receptive to the emotions of others.
We believe that art is a tool for empathy and that it can help people understand mental illness in a way that is enlightening and therapeutic. A recent study proves this to be true and found that publicly displayed art is an effective way of increasing empathy and understanding towards mental illness.
The work of 10 deserving finalists will be exhibited in the gallery which includes the three award winners.
The finalists’ works are on display daily 10am-4pm with a pop-up exhibition of other entries’ works 8-10 August.
Opening and awards ceremony on Friday 3 August, 6pm-7.30pm.